Sinus Infection Cures
Looking for relief? Don’t let a sinus infection ruin any more of your day. Let’s take a look at some of the best ways you can identify and cure your sinus infection.
What is a Sinus Infection?
Sinus infections, also called sinusitis, are a result of a viral or bacterial infection in the hollow cavities around your nose. Such infections often cause feelings of pressure, congestion, or general facial discomfort. Roughly 35 million Americans experience a sinus infection at least once a year.
Sinus infections most commonly develop during and after the common cold or any other upper respiratory infection. There are several different types of sinus infections including:
- Acute, which last up to four weeks
- Subacute, which last anywhere between 4-12 weeks
- Chronic, which last more than 12 weeks and occur frequently throughout the year
It is important to identify what kind of sinusitis you are experiencing to figure out how to get rid of your sinus infection.
Sinus Infection Signs and Symptoms
Sinus infections can disrupt our day with pain and discomfort in the face. Here’s a list of symptoms that often accompany a sinus infection.
- Pressure around the teeth and nose
- Nasal discharge
- Reduced sense of smell
In more serious cases, the following symptoms may also be present
If your symptoms improve during the first week, you most likely have a viral sinus infection. Viral sinusitis most often follows a case of the common cold. However, if during the second week of a sinus infection you experience your symptoms worsening, a bacterial infection is most likely present. Bacterial sinusitis often persists for weeks at a time, and can require antibiotics from a doctor to combat.
Sinus Infection Causes
Sinus infections are caused by a wide array of microbes trapped within the body. Viruses lingering from a cold, or bacteria contained within trapped mucus are the most common causes for sinusitis. Such conditions can arise from
It is important to distinguish between a sinus infection and allergies. Both share similar symptoms (eg. facial pressure, nasal drip, fatigue, congestion), however they require different forms of treatment. If you are experiencing any combination of these symptoms but are not recovering from a recent cold or respiratory infection, you may in fact have allergies.
Sinus Infection Natural Remedies
There are many ways to cure a sinus infection. Before turning to antibiotics, you may be inclined to treat less serious discomfort with some natural remedies within your own home. Take a look at some of the natural remedies you can treat your sinus infection with:
- Stay Hydrated: Important to combating any kind of infection, drinking water is a critical piece of giving the immune system what it needs to fight off unwanted microbes.
- Take a Hot Shower: The steam from a hot shower enters your nasal passages and loosens the mucus inside, helping you breathe easier. Sipping on some hot tea can also do the trick while providing soothing relief to a sore throat.
- Use a Nasal Rinse: Nasal rinse devices, such as neti pots, can be used to flush saline or saltwater through the nasal passage to loosen mucus and provide relief from facial pressure.
- Get Plenty of Rest: Take a hot shower, fill up your water bottle, and call it an early night as you lay down in bed. Arming your immune system to succeed is a must if you want your body to have the best chance to recover naturally from a sinus infection.
Sinus Infection Cures
If your sinus infection persists through natural remedies, or you are suspicious of a bacterial infection that won’t go away on its own, take a look at our list of other cures to get rid of your sinus infection:
- Steroid nasal sprays
- Nasal decongestant sprays
- Nasal decongestant medications
- Mucus thinning medications
- Over the counter pain medication
- Antibiotics: if you are thinking about taking antibiotics, take a look at some of the most effective prescriptions to treat your sinus infection here
Get Sinus Infection Treatment Online
It is important to keep in mind that 85-90% of sinus infections are viral and will go away on their own within a week or two. However, for persistent sinusitis or if you’re simply looking for faster relief you can now make an online appointment with a world class doctor using PlushCare.
97% of conditions are treated on the first visit and an average appointment takes only 15 minutes. Our doctors will electronically send prescriptions to the pharmacy of your choice to ensure you put that sinus infection behind you.
Book an appointment today at your own convenience and see how easy PlushCare makes it to find treatment for your medical needs.
PlushCare takes content accuracy seriously so that we can be your trusted source of medical information. Most articles are reviewed by M.D.s, Ph.D.s, NPs, or NDs. Click here to meet the healthcare professionals behind the blog.
Read More About Sinus Infection Cures
- Antibiotics for Sinus Infection
- How to Get Rid of a Sinus Infection
- Natural Remedies for Sinus Infection
- Sinus Infection Treatment
- How Long Does a Sinus Infection Last?
- Sinus Infection Remedy
- Home Remedies for Sinus Infection
- Best Medicine for Sinus Infection