Does your heart seem to be beating out of your chest lately? Are you losing weight without even trying? You may have hyperthyroidism. Let’s talk about hyperthyroidism and if you can treat hyperthyroidism online.
What is Hyperthyroidism?
Hyperthyroidism is a condition where your thyroid gland produces too much thyroxine (T4), a hormone responsible for many processes in your body. Excess amounts of T4 cause your metabolism to speed up, which results in symptoms like unintentional weight loss and a racing heart.
Symptoms of hyperthyroidism include:
- Tachycardia – heart rate faster than 100 beats per minute
- Palpitations – pounding heartbeat
- Arrhythmia – irregular heartbeat
- Unintentional weight loss
- Anxiety, nervousness, or irritability
- Increased appetite
- More frequent bowel movements
- Fine, brittle hair
- Thinning skin
- Increased sensitivity to heat
- Changes in menstrual patterns
- Muscle weakness
- Trouble sleeping
- Goiter – an enlarged thyroid gland in the front of your neck
There are a few different causes for hyperthyroidism, including:
- Thyroiditis – an inflamed thyroid after pregnancy
- Graves’ disease – an autoimmune disease where your immune system tells your thyroid to produce too many hormones
- Hyperfunctioning thyroid nodules – Part of the thyroid gland may become walled off from the rest, become enlarged, and produce too much thyroid hormone
Without proper diagnosis and treatment, hyperthyroidism can lead to several serious complications such as:
- Eye problems
- Thyrotoxic crisis
- Swollen red skin
- Heart problems
- Physical exam and medical history to discuss symptoms and check the condition of the thyroid gland
- Blood tests to measure the amount of thyroid-stimulating hormone (TSH) in your bloodstream
- Radioiodine uptake test to check how much iodine your thyroid absorbs in a certain time period
- Thyroid scan to show how much iodine your thyroid collects
- Thyroid ultrasound to detect thyroid nodules
There are several treatments for hyperthyroidism depending on factors like the cause, your age, and the severity of the condition. Treatment options include:
- Radioactive iodine to shrink the thyroid
- Anti-thyroid medications to prevent your thyroid from releasing so many hormones
- Beta blockers can relieve symptoms like rapid heart rate, tremors, and palpitations
- Surgery to remove most of the thyroid (this is only considered as a last resort)
How to Treat Hyperthyroidism Online
You can often have your hypothyroidism diagnosed and treated online. An online doctor can talk to you on a phone or video call to discuss your symptoms, order lab tests, and electronically send prescriptions to your pharmacy.
Call PlushCare Today to Treat Hyperthyroidism Online
Make an appointment with our trusted doctors today by clicking here or calling (888) 608-5845. Your doctor can discuss your symptoms and medical history, then order lab tests for you in your local area. Depending on the results of the lab tests, the doctor can then electronically send a prescription to your pharmacy to treat your hyperthyroidism.