Welcome to part 2 of a blog series on how to start working out at home to save time and stay fit. Last week, we reviewed key pieces of workout equipment that can help you build a home gym. However, now that youve got the goodsyou need a plan! The benefit of attending a workout class is that it takes the guesswork out of exercise. When youre at home, you have to come up with your own routines, and you tend to not push as hard. Heres a list of seven workout apps and websites that provide instruction for follow-along workouts:
- 12 minute athlete app: Krista Stryker invented 12 minute athlete for busy people who wanted to be able to workout any time, anywhere. The iPhone app simply asks you to select the length of workout you want to complete (12 or 16 minutes), and the type of equipment you have available (with bodyweight only options). It customizes a routine of plyometric moves, with video tutorials for each on and an in-built timer so you can just set it and get moving.
- Daily Burn: For high-quality at-home workouts with top trainers, look no further than DailyBurn.com, a streaming subscription service where you can choose from a variety of home workout programs (beginner strength training, pilates, kettlebells, yoga, HIIT, and intense cardio, to name a few). You can start a program with a scheduled workout calendar but shift easily to other programs for free. Even the most seasoned athletes will be sweating with trainers Bob Harper and Anja Garcia.
- Beachbody: Beachbody.com is perhaps best known for its signature protein powder Shakeology (affectionately called Shake-o) and trainer Shaun Ts Insanity video series. However, the site boasts dozens of different types of workout programs for a variety of different goals, with names like 21-day fix and Hammer and Chisel. Best of all, Beachbody provides a very active online workout communityyou can sign up for a Beachbody coach who runs an accountability group. Your Beachbody group can provide great motivation and a sense of community, even if you are working out by yourself.
- LiveExercise: While Daily Burn and Beachbody provide select, curated workout videos, LiveExercise provides hundreds of workouts that are filmed live and are not edited, just like an in-person workout class. The instructors are more informal, and you never ever have to repeat a workout. A great option for those who prefer choice and variety.
- YogaGlo: YogaGlo has hundreds of yoga and meditation videos from top yogis across the world. The site provides excellent-quality videos and a searchable archive so you can select the type, purpose, and length of workout you would like. The monthly subscription is the price of a single yoga class at an upper-end studio. If you want to focus solely on yoga, this is the site for you.
**As always, PlushCare doctors are available to talk with you about any questions you have. PlushCares top physicians will diagnose, treat, and prescribe you medication all from your phone. For more information or to book an appointment, visit plushcare.com.